US Army Corps of Engineers
Savannah District

Fact Sheets

  • FEST Frequently Asked Questions

    FEST stands for Forward Engineer Support Team. It is an eight-person team made up of two military personnel and six U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) civilians. The FEST provides responsive technical engineer planning and design to military forces in contingency operations.
  • Minor changes to underbrushing at Hartwell and Thurmond Lakes – 2016

    New rules in the Shoreline Use Permit (SUP) program at Hartwell Lake and J. Strom Thurmond Lake reduce the maximum size of trees or vegetation that can be removed within an authorized underbrush area associated with a SUP. The current SMP at Hartwell and Thurmond Lake allowed for removal of trees or vegetation up to 4 inches in diameter. The new SUP reduces the size to less than 3 inches in diameter for removal, underbrushing or cutting at Hartwell Lake and in Elbert and Abbeville counties at Thurmond Lake. Measurements will be taken at ground level.
  • Shoreline Use Permits change at Hartwell and Thurmond Lakes – 2016

    New rules in the Shoreline Use Permit (SUP) program at Hartwell Lake and J. Strom Thurmond Lake will no longer allow the use of a consolidated permit and license effective Jan. 1, 2016. All new SUPs and licenses and all future renewals will require separate forms. This change brings Savannah District reservoir projects into compliance with South Atlantic Division regulations.*
  • Shoreline irrigation from Savannah District reservoirs

    Effective Jan. 1, 2016, property owners can no longer irrigate their property bordering South Atlantic Division reservoirs with water from the reservoirs. This includes irrigating gardens and lawns. The prohibition brings South Atlantic Division shoreline use permits into consistency with federal law. This change impacts certain Shoreline Use Permit (SUP) holders at Hartwell Lake and J. Strom Thurmond Lake in the Savannah District.
  • CSS Georgia Q & A

    When was the CSS Georgia constructed?Locally built in 1862 and originally designed as an ironclad