The Camp Butner FUDS is located 15 miles north of Durham, North Carolina, and encompasses approximately 40,384 acres in Granville, Person, and Durham counties. Camp Butner was primarily established to train infantry, artillery, and engineering combat troops for deployment and redeployment overseas during World War II. The installation was active from 1942 until 1946; however, training was only conducted through 1943. Construction of Camp Butner was authorized by the War Department on February 12, 1942. The camp was officially active on August 4, 1942 and occupied approximately 40,384 acres. The acquired acreage was owned by multiple private owners and consisted of rural, agricultural, undeveloped wooded, commercial, and residential land use parcels. Camp Butner was established to train infantry divisions and miscellaneous artillery and engineer units. Camp Butner was declared excess by the War Department on January 31, 1947. The installation included approximately 15 live-fire ammunition training ranges, a grenade range, a 1,000-inch range, a gas chamber, and a flame thrower training pad. Munitions used at the site included small arms, 2.36-inch rockets, rifle and hand grenades, 37-millimeter (mm) through 155mm high explosive (HE) projectiles, 60 and 81mm mortars, and antipersonnel practice mines. Training activities also included the use of demolition items such as trinitrotoluene (TNT) and various initiating and priming materials. Following World War II, the camp was closed, limited ordnance clearances were performed, and the property was conveyed to the National Guard, the State of North Carolina, local municipalities, and private owners (HGL, 2016).
During the RI, digital geophysical mapping (DGM) surveys, mag-and-dig, and intrusive investigation were conducted throughout the ARNG*, RC1, and RC2 Ranges. Geophysical mapping was not conducted within the HGR or FTR Ranges because these sites were determined to be adequately characterized during previous investigations. Transects were brush cleared and investigated by geophysical surveys; the grids were setup, staked, brush cleared and investigated by geophysical survey (if applicable) and subsequent intrusive investigation; and the surface reconnaissance transects were completed.