Regulatory Program Overview

Information on how to apply for a Corps permit or related services in the Savannah District can be found on our 'E-Submittal Applications Page'

If you are planning work in a river, stream, lake, or wetland, a Corps permit may be required.

The program takes into consideration all concerns of the public - environmental, social, and economic - in the Corps-decision-making process to either issue or deny permits. As part of its responsibility to protect water quality, and other functions and services, the Corps Section 404 permit program extends to many areas under the Clean Water Act.

The Regulatory Branch of the Savannah District administers the Regulatory Program for the entire State of Georgia under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC. 1344), Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 (33 USC. 403), and Section 103 of the Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act (33 USC. 1413). The Regulatory Branch is organized into three Sections, Coastal, Piedmont and Multipurpose Management. The Multipurpose Management Section provides administrative and technical support to the Branch. The Coastal and Piedmont Sections process and evaluate permit applications in their respective geographical boundaries. In addition, the Coastal Section has a field office in Albany, Georgia and the Piedmont Section has a field office at Lake Lanier.

Section 10 of RHA and Section 404 of CWA

Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899 requires Corps authorization prior to any work in, under, or over navigable waters of the United States, or which affects the course, location, condition or capacity of such waters. Navigable waters of the United States are defined as waters that have been used in the past, are now used, or are susceptible to use as a means to transport interstate or foreign commerce up to the head of navigation. Savannah District Navigable Waterways.  Typical activities requiring Section 10 permits are:

  • Construction of piers, docks, wharves, bulkheads, dolphins, marinas, ramps, floats intake structures, and cable or pipeline crossings.
  • Dredging and excavation.
  • Bank stabilization.

Section 404 of the Clean Water Act requires Corps authorization prior to discharging dredged or fill material into the waters of the United States. The goal of this Act is to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Nations’ waters. Examples of common activities requiring Section 404 permits include:

  • Discharges of fill or dredged material in 'waters of the US' including wetlands.
  • Residential, commercial, or recreational developments including roadways and utility lines.
  • Construction of revetments, groins, breakwaters, levees, dams, dikes, riprap, and weirs.

Who needs a permit?

Any person, firm, or agency (including Federal, state, Sovereign Nation, and local government agencies) planning to work in waters of the United States, or place any dredged or fill material into waters of the United States, must first obtain a permit from the Corps. Permits, licenses, variances, or similar authorization may also be required by other Federal, state and local statutes.

You are encouraged to contact the Corps for proposed work in waters in your area. Exemptions, nationwide, regional and individual permit requirements will be reviewed. By discussing all information prior to application submittal, your application will be processed more efficiently.


Contact Us

Coastal Branch:  (912)-652-5893
Piedmont Branch:  (678)-422-2735