1. Manages and directs natural disaster and catastrophic disaster preparedness activities, as well as emergency operations for the Savannah District pursuant to PL 84-99, as amended, PL 93-288, as amended, AR 500-50, AR 500-60, AR 500-70, and disaster assistance authorities of other Federal and state agencies.
2. Evaluates DA, CESAD, FEMA, DOT, and other Federal and state agency policies, directives, and regulations pertaining to natural and catastrophic disaster activities, develops requirements for District-wide emergency plans, directives, and programs; recommends course of action to the Commander for implementation.
3. Represents the Commander in conferences with CESAD, HQUSACE, Department of the Army, Federal and state agencies, local municipalities, and the general public in matters concerning Corps emergency management programs.
4. Organizes emergency teams with proper discipline to respond to emergencies and deploys emergency response and recovery personnel. Manages deployments in support of contingency operations, Field Force Engineering, and Global War on Terrorism. Responsible for staffing, training and deploying Emergency Power Planning and Response Team (PRT).
5. Requests support in disaster recovery operations. Obtains emergency supplies and equipment.
6. Prepares District’s rehabilitation reports, requirements for advance measures and storm relief work immediately following a natural disaster and recommends project eligibility and feasibility.
7. Participates with Operations Division in the management of the District program for inspection of completed works. Manages Corps local flood protection and hurricane/shore protection projects in accordance with existing policies and procedures.
8. Develops criteria and identifies essential Civil Works facilities within the District area of responsibility.
9. Responsible for maintaining an emergency relocation site.
10. Monitors emergencies and severe weather and coordinates and/or notifies District staff, CESAD, HQUSACE, and other agencies. Posts appropriate information on severe weather on appropriate charts and maps. Prepares required reports for submittal to CESAD.
11. Maintains and operates all disaster equipment so the equipment is ready for use at all times.