What is it?
Many U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recreation areas, including day use parks and boat launching facilities (excluding campground ramps), charge fees up to $5.00 for their use. Annual passes are available for purchase at the J. Strom Thurmond Lake Visitor Center and some other areas for a price of $40.00. Annual Passes are good at Corps of Engineers recreation areas only.
Passes are available at the following locations in addition to the Thurmond Lake Visitors Center:
- Augusta Marine in Augusta, GA
- Sportsman's Corner in North Augusta, SC
The passes are accepted nationwide at all boat ramps and day use areas operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Annual passes are not accepted at camping facilities.
Annual Pass Changes
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers annual pass program has undergoing significant changes that include:
- The annual passes will be valid for 12 months from the month of sale. For example, an annual pass purchased in April 2010 will be valid until the end of March 2011.
- Visitors will receive a plastic hangtag with every annual pass purchased. Along with the annual pass sticker, the visitor will also receive a second sticker indicating the month the pass was purchased in. These two stickers will be permanently affixed to the plastic hangtag for display. The passes will be hung on the rearview mirror and can be moved between vehicles. An annual pass sticker will still be available for open vehicles such as motorcycles and jeeps.
- Duplicate annual passes, available in past years, will no longer be sold since the new passes can be used on any vehicle owned by the buyer. Visitors who still want a second pass may purchase on at full price.